Overwatch 2 players will have to deal with a number of new changes in the game’s January 5th update, with several heroes buffed and nerfed, a new Battle for Olympus LTM, as well as general bug fixes.
We’re rapidly closing in on Overwatch 2 Season 3 and the devs are still tinkering with elements of the game to ensure the free-to-play experience is as immersive and engaging as it can be.
As is standard with most patches, the January 5th update for Overwatch 2 provides general improvements to key aspects of the game, including audio and graphical issues. Not only that, but the much-anticipated Battle for Olympus game mode is here, along with changes to several of the game’s heroes.
That’s everything you need to know about the Overwatch 2 Season 2 January 5 Update with complete patch notes.
Overwatch 2 January 5 Update: Battle For Olympus
The Greek theme of Overwatch 2 Season 2 continues as Blizzard gives players new gameplay to wrap their heads around with a new Battle for Olympus event.
event started January 5, 2022expected to last January 19, 2022 – Giving players a full two weeks to pick up all the new content including new LTM as well as special event skins.
Overwatch 2 January 5th Update: Buffs, Nerfs and Bug Fixes
Some heroes in the game have been subject to buffs and nerfs that will alter their performance during Overwatch 2 play and may ultimately affect pick rates as well.
Junker Queen and Zarya are targeted in this of sports tank department, while Brigitte and Moira make some changes to the support category.
Along with character buffs and nerfs, Blizzard has also addressed a number of issues with the game and provided solutions for faulty expressions, map abnormalities, and even hero-specific bugs.
Overwatch 2 January 5 Update: Full Patch Notes
New Seasonal Mode: Battle for Olympus FFA
In this free-for-all deathmatch mode, battle for the throne of Olympus as seven mighty gods and demons from Greek mythology, each with a unique divine power that kicks in when their ultimate ability is used. The bravest contenders in the Battle of Olympus will have the chance to earn voice lines and player titles for a limited time, so they can celebrate their achievements forever.
At the end of the event, the hero whose powers were used to secure the most eliminations across all matches will be crowned the new ruler of Olympus!
- Game reports for completed matches in the History tab will be consistent across sessions and reset between patches instead of each session
- The 2023 season of competitive Capture the Flag begins January 10th and can be found in the Competitive Play menu
- Competitive Play loading screen has been updated
Adrenaline Rush (Passive)
- Now heals for remaining wound damage when an enemy dies with wounds on them
- The cooldown for each enemy affected by this is now reduced by 2 seconds
- Throw impact damage reduced from 80 to 50
- Thrown direct effects now add 30 damage to stuck targets. Heaps of wounds caused by quick melee or jagged blade hits.
- Energy dissipation reduced from 2.2 to 2 per second
- Delay before energy degeneracy begins after receiving energy from 1 to 2 seconds
- Health increased from 250 to 300
- Dealing damage with Biotic Orb now restores a small amount of Biotic Energy
- Fixed an issue where souvenirs were placed incorrectly on Ramatra
- Fixed an issue with Kiriko’s Ofuda displaying black textures during her tornado emote
- Fixed an issue with the Reaper’s ‘Take a Knee’ animation when ending his emote
- Fixed an issue with floatable abilities (turrets, mines) after destroying the environment they were placed on
- Fixed an issue that caused some users to see a black screen as the main menu background
- Fixed a bug that caused “Group Up” to say “I’m on my way” in unexpected circumstances.
- Fixed an issue on some consoles that resulted in blurry graphics
- Fixed an issue where some players were not able to invite on certain consoles
- Fixed some performance issues in the Hero Gallery on console platforms
- Fixed an issue where daily challenges were not playing for some users
- Fixed an issue where the end-of-game ‘DRAW’ text was not displayed for players when the colorblind setting was activated
- Fixed an issue with ‘Invite to custom game’ not appearing as an option in the social menu
- Fixed some areas allowing players to escape map boundaries
- Fixed some areas where players could get stuck
- fixed some areas where the environment could ‘eat’ some abilities
- Fixed lighting and geometry in multiple areas of the map
- Fixed an issue where Bastion’s sound effects could loop at the point of death
- Fixed an issue where the entire Bastion screen would turn yellow when repaired by the Brigitte Repair Pack
- Fixed a bug with Swift Step capturing a flag that would send the flag to the destination instead of dropping it where the ability was activated
- Fixed Mercy’s Guardian Angel sometimes allowing her to escape Ramatra’s Ravenous Vortex
- Fixed the issue of missing assets on Ramatra’s hero information page
- Fixed an issue with Ramatra’s primary fire effects not displaying the correct amount of projectiles for other players
- Ramatra should now play rumble effect on gamepads/controllers
- Not more than one barrier can be active in Ramatra at a time. Note: This can’t happen in standard mode, only custom games or modes with low cooldown
- Fixed an issue where the pulse bomb would not damage Tracer if it was ‘stuck’ to an enemy
If you want to learn even more about Overwatch 2 and find out more about the different aspects of the online shooter, we’ve got plenty more guides for you to take a look at:
Are the Overwatch 2 Servers Down? , Best Overwatch 2 PC Settings | Is there cross-progress crossplay in Overwatch 2? , How To Play Overwatch 2 On Steam Deck | How to get Golden Guns in Overwatch 2 | Best Overwatch 2 Heroes | How to Join Voice Chat in Overwatch 2 | Who is the most popular Overwatch 2 Heroes | How to check your rank in Overwatch 2 | Overwatch 2 highest support level explained
Image credit: Blizzard